Thursday, February 14, 2008

PCP Visit (Edited)

I went with David this morning for his follow-up with his primary care doctor. I'm finally getting used to not expecting big revelations when we go in, which is a good thing. So much of this is just simply touching base - keeping in touch.

We had both thought that the x-ray he had a while back was to determine whether or not he had a meniscus tear, but we learned today that an x-ray doesn't necessarily show that. (We do keep learning things!) Since David is still experiencing knee pain and "clicking," the doctor has ordered an MRI, which should take place next week. With that they will be looking specifically for a meniscus tear.

Permission (from insurance) for surgery to take place is still pending.

This was the first time I'd been able to go to a primary care doctor visit with him since his stroke. I like being there; there are things I learn that are not necessarily things that are "big" enough for David to think to tell me after he's gone on his own. For instance, it was pretty amazing to see the doctor check David's reflexes in his left leg. I thought they'd be diminished. I was wrong! His leg just kicked WAY out there. We talked about that with the doctor and found out it is normal for reflexes to be exaggerated on the side that is impacted by a stroke.

David asked if his over-sensitivity was related to that. Yes it is.

We talked about it on the way home. It's such a weird combination. He's both lacking sensitivity and has greatly increased sensitivity. For instance, the other night he was trying to reach over and give me a back rub in bed, and he couldn't tell if he was touching me or not. He also continues to have trouble holding onto things. (The other day he was in the kitchen, and I heard something shatter --- again --- didn't even dare to look and haven't asked yet what it was.) However, if he has the vent or heater on in the vehicle and it blows on his left arm, it nearly drives him crazy, and he is overly sensitive to heat and cold on that side.

He made some comment to me while we were talking about this that it seems the stroke has caused his nerves to rebel and to work against him rather than for him.

He continues to have numbness and tingling on that left side.

As I shared in an earlier post, his spirits are better than they were last week. I'm guessing another part of why he was "down" then is that as time goes on his window for getting function back on his left side is narrowing, so as time goes by he is eager to see more and more progress before that window closes. I think that's part of what got to him - maybe a bit of panic.

Part of my editing of this post has to do cutting a long portion that has to do with my current spirits. Suffice it to say I'm struggling mightily with autoimmune issues (causing a lot of pain) and with my sleep disorder (currently averaging 1 to 2 hours of sleep per night). This does not make for a very cheerful person - nor one who can be much of a support to the rest of her family. A night or two of sleep would do me (and thus all of us) a world of good! Currently the pain and sleep deprivation are making my insides feel like the guy in the image at right looks, and that needs to change!

Additional editing - we got a couple of calls later in the day - after I had first blogged this post. David's MRI for his knee is set for February 26, and, from what I understand, David's heart repair has been approved and a contract has been sent to the surgeon for him to agree to, so it is in the surgeon's hands now. (????) I have no idea if my understanding is accurate or not, but it sounds like the wheels are moving.

Oh, and after talking to a doctor friend tonight I understand the exaggerated reflex thing - although I'm not sure I can explain it accurately or well. Reflexes are controlled by the spinal cord. The brain acts to inhibit them. So, when David's knee gets hit with the little mallet a reaction is triggered by his spinal cord without normal inhibition from the brain. As I said, we are learning a lot!

No comments: