Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Update From My Perspective (David, that is)

Thanks again to my wonderful wife for doing such a great job of using her blog to get the information out to everyone about my progress since my November 2nd stroke. If you haven't read her latest update in this section posted yesterday, make sure that you do that before you read these additional comments of mine.

I have begun meeting 2 times a week with a physical therapist who specializes in athletic rehabilitation. This was suggested by my very capable therapists at English Oaks when they felt that they had reached the extent of their expertice in my case. I specifically want to get my stride back for running, so this seems to be the next step in my recovery. I was very impressed with my initial evaluation and session. We are going to start with some intense work on balance and work on building up some specific muscles that are not yet doing their part. One of the main muscles that seems to be lacking is the hip flexor (I think that's what he called it). This seems to be causing my left foot to turn out when I walk and causes the muscles on the inside of my leg to do most of the work rather than sharing equally with the muscles on the outside of my leg. MY familly is seeing me standing on one foot at a time these days quite a bit, trying to retrain my brain to learn to better balance my body, and getting the receptors in my feet to better talk with my brain to know how to do that. This is combined with some exercises that specifically work those muscles that I need to use at the same time if I am truly going to have my balance back again. I've been told that we will not begin working on improving the stride until I improve in both of these areas.

I had a major success today in that I completed my first 3 mile run on pavement since my stroke. Once I got used to the slap of my left foot on the ground as I ran, I was able to get into a pretty good rythm and completed the 3 miles in just under 24 minutes. Being able to get in good aerobic exercise like that is really what I am after. To my surprise, it didn't hurt and doesn't hurt now (2 hours afterward). I had been doing my limited runnung on grass figuring it would put less stress on my knee, ankle and foot, but my new PT highly recommends that I NOT run on grass because it provides such an uneven surface and he fears that that in itself may lead to injury. So, I am pleased with today's accomplishment.

I continue to look forward to a day when I no longer have to think about every step I take as I run or walk and it just becomes a natural occurance once again. In the meantime, I just praise God for the wonderful work he continues to do in me and pray that progress will continue. Know that I am working hard at my therapy daily and am full of hope from my recent evaluation and training. God continues to teach me patience.

No comments: